Sunday, July 08, 2007

Paya Batman


22 Jamadil Akhir 1428
Salam

Where do you go for a swim? In Precinct 16, Putrajaya, there is a community center with a swimming pool. For RM1 children and RM2 adults, you could have a 2 hours swimming session and lifeguard is included. I consider this as reasonable and affordable.
Back in 1974, I have not much choice but to go to Paya Batman. If you ask about lifeguard, I will tell you to take a wild guess. Adults are not welcome because whenever they are around, swimming is usually not allowed. That could only means one thing. Swimming is at your own risk.
Yet, Paya Batman is the place where I acquired my swimming skills. How did I did it? Attempts after attempts. That was it. And all these were without my parents’ knowledge. I drowned 2 or 3 times but manage to grabbed at something and survived to write this piece some 30 years later. I really do not know if I could consider it as an achievement.
As far as I know, Paya Batman claimed at least 3 lives. That was in 1990s when I read the news in the paper reporting another death after 2 previously. I smiled reading it. Don't get me wrong. I was not smiling because another son of Adam died. I smiled because the reporter stated, the place known as 'Paya Batman'. I do not think the reporter knew the name was given by a 6 year old boy who thought ‘Batman’ means ‘Kelawar’. Only after a few years later then he realized that ‘Batman’ is actually a comic superhero character and ‘Kelawar’ is ‘Bat’.

Ramli AR

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Assalamualaikum!
You are lying if what Ramli wrote below did not conjure a kind of tingly
feeling in you. Reminiscing about our childhood is always like that . You
feel warm and kind of mini euphoria.

Back to present. Some might might think I can write, but actually I can't.
I got serious problem to be direct and concise. Until today, I am still
rewriting my thesis because it was given TL( tak lengkap,) last semester.

Writing is not merely about vocabulary but it is about using the least
amount of words and expressing your thought as clearest as possible. That
scares the hell out of me.

One thing I like about below email ( It is not flawless though!) is that
no Manglish in the sense that no mix of english and malay. Don't be
surprise, some students nowadays can't even write a complete sentence
without mixing English with Malay and vice versa. Can you?????? Boleh
maa!!!! :)

TQ

Ir. Ridzuan Sanusi

ainizakri said...

Ish..

Terkedu nak komen..bila baca komen Mat Duan tu...tak terkomen den...
salam buat na..laili, laila dan lokman the batman...